Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 29, 2010

Hunting Season 2010

This year several of us in the hunting group decided to pass on bucks less than 2.5 years old.  It was a difficult decision because not everyone is "in" - but we decided to leaqd by example.  At the very least - if 3 or 4 of us didn't take two 1.5 year old bucks - than theoretically - that could be several more that might make it into the next year class.

After passing several young bucks the first week - John struck 1st on the second weekend of bow - with the "ripped ear 7 point"  We knew this deer well - had many many pictures of him  He has junk on the left base instead of a brow tine.  We had talked about passing him - and decided in the end that he met our goals as a 2.5 year old.  He weighed 160 lbs dressed out.



Several of us passed several more bucks the second week - and on November 4th I shot my best buck to date - 184 lbs dressed out - 10 point!  This buck we did not have any photos of that we kow of.  He was a real hog of a deer and I couldn't have been happier.


A couple days later I took a nice Doe with my bow from the same stand.


 Then Rifle season arrived - and we knew some young deer were going to be taken - and still some of us held out.  I was very happy for my son who is 15, he took his second buck ever on opening morning with me from his Pipeline shooting shack.


My Dad also took a 4 point, my cousin a 7 point, and my uncle a Spikehorn.  I was able to take a nice doe on the second day. 



A couple more does were taken by the other hunters - and I was able to finish the season with a last weekend Blackpowder doe coming to eat the beans.  For me, a mature 10 point and 3 does was a perfect season.


No comments: